Saturday, June 30, 2012

Fire Season is here.

I live in a state where Fire Season has begun way to early. Usually we don't get our first forest fire until mid June in Utah. However, the conditions were right this year to start an awful season off.  As I have watched this season unfold I have seen destruction, devastation, heroism, and kindness unfold right before my very eyes.
Each one of us has been touched in some way by the fires burning around the western US. Each of us have wondered what if that was me.  What if that was my home that I had to leave. What if that was my city I had to abandon for  a week. What if that was my family that must live in an evacuation shelter because I had no where else to go.
Then you start asking your self, What can I do to prepare? What can I do to help those who have lost everything? Am I really ready if that was to happen here?
I use to tell myself that I did not need to worry about fires because I live in the middle of a City. Not a town or village.  That thought process has changed over night.
Colorado Springs, CO has been totally evacuated due to a huge wild fire burning through the town. It is not a town or small village it is the 2nd largest city in Colorado. I live in the 2nd largest city in Utah. that could very well be me. With a population of 32,000 people that city is roughly the same size and the city I currently live in.
Now that hits very very close to home for me.
I started to look at this blog and think what can I do to be more prepared. It doesn't have to be elaborate!!! It can be made very SIMPLE.
Step #1 :
Ask your self do I have a 72 hour Kit? What should I have in this Kit? Where should I store this Kit?   Honest answer: I don't have a 72 hour kit. I need one.
I am building mine now.
I need to start with something to hold it in. I should be able to pick up and carry it to my car in the case of an evacuation.  I think I will start with a  heavy duty reusable grocery type bag. It has handles and is very durable. It can also store easy in my front room closet right by the front door.  So here is my check list now.  (Remember I have a family of 6 so I need to make sure all 6 of us will be taken care of for three full days.) 
  • 3 Days Food/Water supple for each person in Household. (remember you won't be able to cook or refrigerate most generally.) 
    • 36 granola or protein bars
    • trail mix or dried fruits
    • Approx 18 each: canned tuna/ soups/ meats 
    • 3 Lg cans juice
    • 6 Gallons of Water (1 Gallon of water  Per Person)
  • Bedding and Clothing 
    •  2 Change of Clothing (short and long  sleeve shirts, pants, socks, jackets, etc.) 
    •  3 pr Undergarments each person
    •  6 Rain Coat /Poncho 
    •  Sleeping Bags for each person and Emergency Heat Blankets 
    •  Cloth Sheet 
    •  Tarp to roll out and sleep on.
  • Fuel & Light 
    • 6  Battery Lighting (Flashlights, Lamps) 
    •  Extra Batteries - make sure the batteries fit the flash lights. You don't want AA when you need C. 
    •  Flares
    •  Candles 
    •  Lighter 
    •  Water-Proof Matches
  • Equipment 
    •  Can Opener 
    •  1 for each person Dishes/Utensils 
    •  Shovel  (I have a fold up shovel that fits well inside the bag.)
    •  Radio (with  batteries!) 
    •  Pen and Paper 
    •  Axe 
    •  Pocket Knife 
    •  Rope 
    •  Duct Tape 
  • Personal Supplies & Medication 
    •  First Aid Supplies 
      • See First Aid Kit Supply List below
    •  Toiletries 
      • roll of toilet paper—remove center tube to easily flatten into a zip-lock bag, 
      • feminine hygiene
      • 2folding brush
      • 3travel size toothpaste
      • 6travel size toothbrush
      • 1 plastic mirror
      • 2 Bar Soap (baggie to store open soap in)
      • 1 travel size Hand Sanitizer per person
      • 6 travel Size Shampoo
    •  Medication (Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen, children’s medication, etc.) 
    •  Prescription Medication (for 3 days) 
  • Personal Documents and Money 
    • (Place these items in a water-proof container!) 
    •  Scriptures (miniature ones are lighter) 
    •  Genealogy Records 
    •  Patriarchal Blessing 
    •  Legal Documents (Birth/Marriage Certificates, Wills, Passports, Contracts) 
    •  Vaccination Papers 
    •  Insurance Policies 
    •  Cash  (you will want this in case you need to make emergency purchases.) 
    •  Credit Card 
    •  Pre-Paid Phone Cards ( during 
  • Miscellaneous 
    •  Bag or Bags to put 72 hour kit items in (such as duffel bags or hiking back packs, which work great)  (I am putting each persons items in gallon size zip-lock bags to keep them from getting wet and keeping them dry . Items such as clothing,  books, legal docs ect.)
    •  Infant Needs (if applicable) 
72 Hour First Aid Kit
  • Standard First Aid Kit Supplies* 
    •  Container (metal, wood, or plastic) with a fitted cover to store first aid kit 
    •  First Aid Booklet (including CPR) 
    •  Prescribed Medications  (3 day supply)
    •  Any critical medical family histories 
    •  Adhesive 
    •  Ammonia 
    •  Bicarbonate of soda 
    •  Calamine lotion (sunburn/insect bites) 
    •  Diarrhea remedy 
    •  Elastic bandages 
    •  Gauze bandages 
    •  Hot-water bottle 
    •  Hydrogen peroxide 
    •  Ipecac syrup (induces vomiting) 
    •  Knife 
    •  Matches 
    •  Measuring cup 
    •  Medicine dropper 
    •  Needles 
    •  Paper bags 
    •  Razor blades 
    •  Rubbing alcohol 
    •  Safety pins 
    •  Scissors 
    •  Soap 
    •  Thermometer 
    •  Triangular bandages 
    •  Tweezers 
    •  Prescriptions 
    •  Consecrated oil 
  • Additional First Aid Kit Supplies 
    •  Immunization records 
    •  Medications for children (if applicable) 
    •  Fever reducing medications such as: -aspirin, acetaminophen, or ibuprofen  
    •  Allergy medication 
    •  Antibacterial wipes 
    •  Antibiotic ointment 
    •  Antiseptic wipes 
    •  Band-aids 
    •  Burn ointment/spray 
    •  Cotton balls 
    •  Cough syrup/cough drops 
    •  Disposable blanket 
    •  Eye drops/eye wash 
    •  Feminine Hygiene 
    •  Gloves 
    •  Hand sanitizer 
    •  Hot and cold instant packs 
    •  Hydrocortisone cream 
    •  Lip ointment (chap stick) 
    •  Medical tape (waterproof & regular) 
    •  Nail clippers 
    •  Needle and thread 
    •  Snake bite kit 
    •  Sterile strips 
    •  Sunscreen/lotion 
    •  Tourniquet kit 
    •  Vaseline 
    •  Water purification tablets
Ok so I now have a good list of what my family needs.  In order to afford all the new stuff I need I can start by looking at what I already have. Most of us have tuna , canned soup and other canned items. You can coupon for these items or buy one extra item each time you go to the store until you have your kit fully stocked.
If you nee to make purchase's on shovels, lighters, and other equipment you may want to yard sale or freecycle.org to find these items. 
I think the only things you might need to pay full price for would be the 1st aid items.  If you watch for sales and pick up things slowly over time you will be able to afford to get this together so much easier. 
I hope this helps anyone not ready for a disaster out with a basic plan. 

Remember in School you had fire drills? You would go to a designated meeting area so you knew everyone was accounted for. Well the next question is does your family have one of those in case of a disaster when you are not all together? 
In Utah yesterday, June 29th the Rose Canyon Fire started by the city of Hereman. People did not have time to grab even their 72 hour kits to get out of their homes. This was an extremely fast moving fire and it was on peoples door step's literally before they could get out. It started while people were at work and not home as well.  In this case if you are work and you come home to an evacuation order how are you going to find your family? Where is the meeting place? Who is going to pick up the children from daycare/school and where are you going to meet? This is a family plan every person in the home should know. IT should be practiced as well. That way in case this ever happens to you , you are ready and not wondering what did that plan say again?!
I suggest writing it down. Putting it under your visor in your car or in the glove box to keep it with you at all times.  This way you know exactly the plan with out needing to go home to remember. 

Ok, so I know this is a lot of stuff for such a short time. I think it is IMPORTANT for every family to be simply prepared. I don't have all the answers. And I am just starting my own journey in this arena. If you have suggestions please comment to help all the readers of this blog be better educated and better prepared. 

http://lds.about.com/od/preparednessfoodstorage/a/first_aid_kit.htm is the link I got my 72 hour kit and 1st aid kit information from. You may want to search online for other ideas to be better prepared. 

No comments:

Post a Comment