Friday, June 8, 2012

Communication is the Key!

Once in a while life throws all of us curve balls. I think I have a few in the last week.
It is our jobs as adults to handle the curves with grace, compassion, and sustainability for the future. This week has been one of those weeks. Sustainability is my main goal. However, I am trying hard to use grace, compassion and tack to accomplish this hard task.

If I was honest with you and myself, I really want to scream out THIS ISN'T FAIR! WHY ME! WOE'S ME!
But knowing that is not the best tactic to tackles this particular situation I am using another tactic from my arsenal of self preservation. Kill them with Kindness.

Here is the situation I and my family is in in our Little House in Orem.

In the last 6 weeks I have blogged and posted we have got a cow for the food table next year. That plan has been interrupted, changed and damaged in all possible ways with one fail swoop. We are renting our little house. I would love to say we are purchasing this home one day. And this is the goal and plan. However, for the time being we are dealing with a landlord. This has been okay until the last 5 days or so.

Before we bought Cow, we spoke with our landlord about putting a cow in the pasture for the summer and winter. As we spoke he never once stated it could be a problem. Fast forward 3 weeks and 4 times of talking with him about the subject of the us getting a cow.
We have a brand new baby cow. We milk feed this cow for 5.5 weeks. Now it is time to put to pasture.
The same week she is ready for pasture their are horses put in the pasture. OK now the questions start.
We ask the landlord if he told the person who owns the horses that Cow would be put to pasture next week. Our landlord back tracks and says I will.
Three days later the women who owns the horses comes to water the horses. My husband tells her Cow is ready for pasture and we will be putting her in the next day.
The next day comes and we go to put Cow in the pasture and their are pad locks on the gates not allowing us to do this.
To frustrate this problem further when we call the land lord to ask for the key he tells my husband the pasture can not be used for our cow because the horse people lease it from him. (When we moved in the landlord did not specify that the pasture was not ours to rent. Remember we spoke of this with him 4 times before purchasing the calf. And when we did the walk through to rent this house he stated it included the pasture.)
Now their is a problem with this situation even further. I have a cow ready for pasture and no pasture to put her in. The horse people are using my water to water their horses. I am not happy about this situation. My husband exchanges words with the horse people because they are not taking care of the horses poop (and with the pad locks on the gates we can't either, Which we had been doing for them because I could not see these wild mares living in hoof deep waste and not having much room for feed due to that fact. My husband had been hauling out the horse manure as a favor to the horses.)Now they are putting the manure in the way of our irrigation water. Thus complicating things even more.

I am a God fearing women. I believe when asked God will present answers to difficult situations. I prayed on this situation. I got my answer. Though I really don't like it. But I know it is the right answer.

I put Cow up for sale. With in 5 hours she was sold. She leaves our home tonight. I am so sad yet happy she is going to someone who can give her the room she needs to roam and be a cow.

Now I must find the grace to move past this mishap with the horse people and landlord and try to be collected when I speak with them. This  is more difficult to do then I thought. I don't know my husband will be able to. He is so mad about the situation that he gets red in the face just thinking about it. Let alone talking about it. I get mad but I am trying to move past the anger. Letting go of anger has never been a strong suit for me. However, I know I must to move forward.

I am frustrated and yet sad at the same time. If find myself thinking this situation did not have to even happen. If your landlord would have just spoke up and said he leased the property to the horses and we could not use the pasture we would have never gotten Cow in the first place. We might have questioned him on why he said the pasture was ours. But the horse people would not have had to even be involved with the situation because we could have dealt with our land lord directly.

Communication is so very important in any situation you have. I am finding that honesty and openness is commodities I do not find  very often. As a result of this situation I am working hard on my own faults in communication area. I hope you can do the same in your life. The most wonderful thing about this is it is a skill. It can be practiced. Practice makes perfect.

3 comments:

  1. Very good Mayna. Always look at the glass as half full. Smile and be kind will get you further than anger and frowns. Remember you word in the end is the best thing you have going for you.
    Value what you tell people and always live up to what you tell people. Try hard to be your self.
    Smile a lot because I love you daughter and your a wonderful daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not that it sounds like it matters at this point, but you could look at what side of the property lines the pasture falls in. If its in your property line, technically they can't lease it separately. Oh well. Good job trying to push forward! :( Sorry Cow is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Update, Cow is not gone yet. The sale fell though. I have her listed again on KSL. As for the pasture the lines are on our property and if we really wanted to push the issue in court our landlord would loose big time. Becuase he rented us the full amount of property and then subleased the pasture with out our permission. I know we could win but I am not the kind of person to sue. Just frustates most sistuations more when courts and lawyers get involved. But I am trying hard to keep my chin up.

    ReplyDelete