Thursday, November 3, 2011

Where did my simple life go?


So I have fallen off tried to pick myself up and jump back on the horse but only got 1/2 way up there. One foot in the stirrup and then gave up again.

To put this plain and simple: I miss my simple life! I think it was satisfying and fulfilling to step into shoes of my mothers and grandmothers and work hard and reap what I sewed. Even if all I sewed was a few tomatoes and some lettuce.

I am going to start today! I can’t look back on yesterday to change the past. But I can plan for the future tomorrow. However, to start I must start in the present. Look to the gift that God has given me. Present, here and now, today that is where I must start. I must put forth an effort each day to obtain and maintain a way of life that I so desire.


In May of last year I moved into a little farm house that was comfortable. Bigger in square footage than the trailer I grew up in. Small by today’s standards; But to me and my boys it was a gift from heaven. Truly it is an answer to my prayers.
Why then am I looking this gift horse in the mouth?
Why must I settle for something different?
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-swKBn88cmoU/TfD4dg38ffI/AAAAAAAAAGU/UaVMJ9hNrpM/s320/Picture+015.jpg

I will list all the reasons I have given for wanting to move out and move on. Then I will list the reasons I should stay.
1. Utilities killed me last winter, but that can change too with a little creativity and ingenuity.
2. Mapleton City has outrageous water/trash/and sewer bills
3. The boys need more space
4. My landlords drive me crazy by calling or stopping by on the 1st of each month rain, snow or shine. I have till the 5th to pay.
5. Travel time to work and kid’s school and other such stuff.

Now I will see the reasons I love this little house.

1. It has a fire place for crying out loud. I can heat the whole upstairs with it. I don’t need to always use the gas to get the house warm.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-pH4kcFMK33o/TfD4abUyFdI/AAAAAAAAAFo/qy33BcW6rvY/s200/farm+house+2.jpg
a. Reason # 1 off set by one of the reasons I love the house. (Then there too I may qualify for HEAT this year. I have never used it in the past and my aunt was telling me they may be able to offset some of my costs that way.
2. It has a comfortable country feeling to it. It is not downtown! I can see stars at night.
3. No dishwasher. I know I am crazy; I have grown to love doing dishes.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-JIMTPxPW_54/TfD4aYusk6I/AAAAAAAAAFk/na1McLxbYHE/s200/farm+house.jpg4. No carpet. I love the hardwood floors and old style laminate floors it offers. It makes it unique and fun.
5. The boys have more space here outside then anywhere I have looked at.
6. It fits well in my budget! I could have a savings if I stay where I am until spring.
7. I love my ward. My neighbors are the best and they love me and my boys. I just love the people around me.
8. I can keep up on this size house. I don’t feel cluttered or overwhelmed when trying to get it cleaned up.
9. Play room down stairs is a bonus. I have washer and dryer hook ups and lots of storage.
10.             I have a garage that I can use or not use it is up to me.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3iQXErtGcVU/TiRg-yBZoHI/AAAAAAAAAXw/A0VaC80pGtw/s200/porch.jpg
11.             My pretty red deck out back is fun in the sun
12.             I have a clothes line for hanging out cloths.
13.             I love the wind. That is a must where I live.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-X8XqxcbbxrE/TiRTaxiSPpI/AAAAAAAAAXo/tFA0jd8B02o/s200/bread.jpg
14.             I have made it my home. I have made memories here.
15.             I have a feeling of contentment I have rarely felt any place else. I feel like this little red brick house is my home. At least until I can feel better about owning a home.

Well to I think the pro’s outweight the con’s by a lot. However, travel time is something I really need to consider. I am still looking for a job in the Utah Valley area. But I don’t see that playing out any time soon. I know it will strain us to be down to 1 car (van) when we finally get around to moving Krik over to Mapleton. But on the positive side I have a work schedule that falls in line with that problem now too. It presented itself before we made the move.
I really can’t do a lot about three of the cons on my list but I feel contentment and that should count for at least one of them.


 No matter what though.

I am starting to live the KISS rules. Keep It Simple Stupid.


And learning a new 5R’s rule.
Reduce- getting rid of stuff you don’t need that clutters your life and energy
Recycle- give stuff to church or people or take to a recycle plant.
Reuse- Extending the life of any given item. Can you rinse off the tinfoil you used to cook with and use it again? Can you reuse the bag you received gifts in to give again?
Restore- Shopping sales and flea markets you may find great stuff if you can restore it to new again.
Repair- Instead of buying a new table because it is broke repair the broken part of the table. It costs less and will help you in the long run.


I will keep you updated on the outcome.

What are some of your secrets to living this simple and sataisfying life?





I will update you on how What do you think should we stay put or should we go find something new? And Why?

1 comment:

  1. I'm your mom I could give you a hundred reasons why to stay. My favorite is the kids have friends........ and I love the idea that I can still see the kids occasionally.

    ReplyDelete