Monday, March 5, 2012

Why I am going to be Frugal !!!

Calvin Coolidge once said "Industry, thrift and self-control are not sought because they create wealth, but because they create character."

Character is something I need right now. I often look towards too long haul and miss the short stick right in front of me.
This being said; I started to think what is right in front of me? Why am I so overwhelmed with money and other stuff.
My misconception is that being frugal equals being cheap. Not having anything at all.

The answer: I am not being frugal with in my soul. I must think and live frugal in order to feel the peace and freedom of being frugal.

Henry David Thoreau said “We make ourselves rich by making our wants few.”
I want to much!. I want nice things that cost a lot of money. I have not been satisfied with basics lately. I must revert back to the basics to find the peace I felt before.

I just paid for a car outright. I have the title it is mine. It is not new, free of dings, or able to seat my family of 6.  What it is however is: dependable, reliable, and gets me around with good gas mileage and it is MINE. It gets me to my job and to the grocery store. By all accounts it is BASIC.

Thus I have made myself richer by this want but yet living in peace because I don't have to put money out monthly on it.
I am trying to simplify me whole life right now. I know spring is right around the corner. Even with the snow we got this week, I feel the need to start changing my behavior.

George A. Sheehan  said "Anything that changes your values changes your behavior." I must say my values have changed and for the better. My value on money is less. My value on blessings is more. I am straightening out my priorities. Money is not even in the top 5.

My new priority list is:

1- My Families welfare. Do we have enough to eat, a place to sleep, and cloths for our backs. If so I have succeeded. Amy Dacyczyn said "Frugality without creativity is deprivation." Creativity is right up my alley.

2- My Marriage Strong. Are we happy together. Are we showing the boys that being happy with each other even when we don't agree or times are tough? If so I have succeeded. Benjamin Franklin said it best "Beware of little expenses; a small leak will sink a great ship" This can be applied to anything in life.  







3- My attitude. Do I have a positive attitude? Am I showing that attitude outwardly? Is so I have succeeded.  It was Frank Hubbard who said "The safe way to double your money is to fold it over once and put it in your pocket." Thus my attitude will only double my ability to see peace and comfort if I double my money this way.


 4-My spiritual Needs. Am I spiritually filled. Am I being of service to others? Am I teaching my children Gods Love for them? if so I have succeeded.


















5- Back to the basics. Am I striving to have peace and comfort in my life? Do I have the right mind set when
making purchases and paying things on time? Have I the basics to survive? If so I have succeeded. Mies van der Rohe said "Less is more." This was never more true than today!








Robert Louis Stevenson said "Everyone who got where he is had to begin where he was." And that is where I will begin. Right here, where I am at today.
I START TODAY!!! Keep you posted.


No comments:

Post a Comment